PENKETH, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Sankey canal, the Warrington and Runcorn-Gap railway, and the river Mersey, at Fidler's ferry, 3½ miles W S W of Warrington. It has a station on the railway, a post-office under Warrington, a brewery, Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school. Acres, 1,048. Real property, £3,117. Pop. in 1851, 679; in 1861, 784. Houses, 141.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)