RAINFORD, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the Ormskirk and St. Helens railway, 1 mile S S E of that railway 's intersection by the Liverpool and Wigan railway, and 4¼ miles N W by N of St. Helens; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under St. Helens. The chapelry comprises 5,803 acres. Real property, £12,623; of which £3,280 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,333; in 1861, 2,784. Houses, 478. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new collieries. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. R. Hall, Mount Pleasant, and the Rookery are chief residences. Much of the land is reclaimed morass. Tobacco-pipemaking is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £135.* Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is a plain building, with a belfry. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school for boys, and a national school for girls. The sub-district is conterminate with the chapelry.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)