TARLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, 2½ miles WNW of Croston r. station, and 8 NNE of Ormskirk; and has a post-office under Preston. The parish is cut into three divisions, and comprises 5,405 acres. Real property, £8,081. Pop., 1,987. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to Sir T. G. Hesketh, Bart., and Lord Lilford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £960.* Patron, the Rev. M. Fletcher. The church is a plain brick building. A national school at Mere-Brow is used as a chapel of ease. There are three Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £29 a year, a school of industry, and charities £8. The sub-district contains 20 parishes. Acres, 12,139. Pop., 3,656. Houses, 667.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Holy Trinity, Church Road, Church of England
- St Mary, Windgate, Church of England
- Mere Brow Lane, Mere Brow, Primitive Methodist
- Church Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- Mere Brow Lane, Mere Brow, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tarleton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.West Lancashire.
You can see pictures of Tarleton which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Tarleton to another place. maps of Tarleton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD451208 (Lat/Lon: 53.680759, -2.832670), Tarleton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.