WINDLE, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; containing part of the town of St. Helens. Acres, 2,907. Real property, £87,101; of which £156 are in quarries, £2,950 in mines, £735 in iron-works, £45,449 in railways, and £400 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,370; in 1861, 12,229. Houses, 2,159. The manor belongs to Sir R. Gerard, Bart. A brewery is at Dentons-Green; large chemical works and an earthenware manufactory are at Gerard's Bridge; a cemetery of 20 acres, formed in 1857, and containing three mortuary chapels, is at Old Windeshaw; and national and Roman Catholic schools are at Moss-Bank.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)