Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
WITHINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies 4 miles S of Manchester r. station; has a post-office under Manchester; and includes Fallowfield, which also has a post-office under Manchester. Acres, 2,498. Real property, £16,747. Pop. in 1851, 1,492; in 1861, 2,712, of whom 771 were in Chorlton workhouse. Houses, 347. The manor belongs to Lord Egerton. There are numerous villas and other good residences. Chorlton workhouse here was built in 1855, at a cost of about £53,000. The Lancashire Independent College also is here, but has been noticed in our article on Hulme. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 2,775. Houses, 359. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £362. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1841. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Manchester central library.
- Mauldeth Road, Baptist
- Union Chapel, Waller Ave, Fallowfield, Baptist
- Palatine Rd, Congregational
- Holy Innocents, Wilbraham Road, Fallowfield, Church of England
- St Christopher, Moorgate Ave, Church of England
- St Crispin, Hart Rd, Fallowfield, Church of England
- St Paul, Wilmslow Road, Church of England
- South Manchester Synagogue , Wilbraham Road , Fallowfield, Jewish
- Fallowfield Methodist Community Church , Platt Lane , Fallowfield, Methodist
- Burton Road, Primitive Methodist
- Old Hall Lane (now Old Moat Lane), Primitive Methodist
- Ladybarn Lane, Fallowfield, Wesleyan Methodist
- Old Hall Lane (now Old Moat Lane), Wesleyan Methodist
- Wilmslow Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- Brunswick Rd, Exclusive Brethren
- Mauldeth Road, Gospel Hall
- Gandhi Hall, Shree Radha Krishna Mandir, Brunswick Rd, Hindu Religious Society
- Manchester South Seventh-day Adventist Church , Wilbraham Road , Fallowfield, Seventh-day Adventist
- Victoria, Wilmslow Road, Presbyterian
- St Bernadette, Princess Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Cuthbert, Palatine Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Kentigern, Hart Road, Fallowfield, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Withington area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Withington area is Manchester.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Withington which are provided by:
In 1835 Withington was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Withington has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ848929 (Lat/Lon: 53.432652, -2.230257), Withington which are provided by: