WITHINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies 4 miles S of Manchester r. station; has a post-office under Manchester; and includes Fallowfield, which also has a post-office under Manchester. Acres, 2,498. Real property, £16,747. Pop. in 1851, 1,492; in 1861, 2,712, of whom 771 were in Chorlton workhouse. Houses, 347. The manor belongs to Lord Egerton. There are numerous villas and other good residences. Chorlton workhouse here was built in 1855, at a cost of about £53,000. The Lancashire Independent College also is here, but has been noticed in our article on Hulme. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 2,775. Houses, 359. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £362. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1841. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Union Chapel, Waller Ave, Baptist, Fallowfield
- Mauldeth Road, Baptist
- Holy Innocents, Wilbraham Road, Church of England, Fallowfield
- St Crispin, Hart Rd, Church of England, Fallowfield
- St Christopher, Moorgate Ave, Church of England
- St Paul, Wilmslow Road, Church of England
- Palatine Rd, Congregational
- Brunswick Rd, Exclusive Brethren
- Mauldeth Road, Gospel Hall
- Gandhi Hall, Shree Radha Krishna Mandir, Brunswick Rd, Hindu Religious Society
- South Manchester Synagogue, Wilbraham Road, Jewish, Fallowfield
- Fallowfield Methodist Community Church, Platt Lane, Methodist, Fallowfield
- Victoria, Wilmslow Road, Presbyterian
- Burton Road, Primitive Methodist
- Old Hall Lane (now Old Moat Lane), Primitive Methodist
- St Kentigern, Hart Road, Roman Catholic, Fallowfield
- St Bernadette, Princess Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Cuthbert, Palatine Rd, Roman Catholic
- Manchester South Seventh-day Adventist Church, Wilbraham Road, Seventh-day Adventist, Fallowfield
- Ladybarn Lane, Wesleyan Methodist, Fallowfield
- Old Hall Lane (now Old Moat Lane), Wesleyan Methodist
- Wilmslow Road, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Withington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Manchester. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Withington to another place. Manchester. Withington in the 19th century. maps of Withington and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ848929 (Lat/Lon: 53.432652, -2.230257), Withington which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview