WRIGHTINGTON, a township-chapelry in Eccleston parish, Lancashire; at Appleby-Bridge r. station, and 4 miles NW of Wigan. It has a post-office under Wigan. Acres, 3,876. Real property, £7,423; of which £41 are in quarries. Pop., 1,618. Houses, 305. W. Hall is the seat of T. Dicconson, Esq.; and Harrock Hall, of Mrs. Bolton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £128. Patron, the Rector of Eccleston. The church was built in 1857. There are Independent, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)