The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier. The parish has also been in the Deanery of Gartree (circa 1910).
We have a partial extract from the parish register in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
There is an active Baptist Church in the village. The church has its own website. There is no history as yet (early 2015) on the web site, but it is still under development. The original Baptist chapel was built here in 1651.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists both had chapels in the village. The current Methodists have a chapel here that dates back to before 1870. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Coningsby lies between the Wolds on one side and the Fens on the other, along the banks of the River Bain. It is 8 miles south of Horncastle and twelve miles north-west of Boston. Tattershall parish is to the north-west. The parish covers over 3,600 acres and includes the hamlets of Haven Bank, Reedham and Dogdyke. Reedham is about 4 miles south of the village of Coningsby.
If you are planning a visit:
Consider staying overnight at the Dower House Hotel in nearby Woodhall Spa, only two miles away.
Try the Castle Inn at 50 High Street.
There is an active golf club associated with RAF Coningsby.
The RAF built an airbase here on the southern edge of the village, near the intersection of the A153 and A155 trunk roads. Construction started in 1937 and the field opened on 4 November, 1940 as 5 Group Bomber Command. At first, the landing strips were grass.
The field was closed for almost a year, from September, 1942, to August, 1943, while hard runways were laid down. Tis would allow heavier aircraft to use the strips and all aircraft to use the strips in wet weather.
The runways were extended in 1954 - 1956 and resurfaced in 2003.
This is still an active RAF station (as of 2011).
There is a memorial to the Battle of Britain, open to the public on weekdays. The military facilities were recently closed for refurbishment.
The Memorial was dedicated in September 1921. The religious service was preceded by the singing of the hymn Let Saints on Earth and the flag which covered it was released by Captain Hotchin MP who said it would serve as a reminder to future children of the willing response of their fathers and grandfathers to do what was necessary to save their country. The memorial takes the form of a broken Aberdeen red granite column on a Portland stone base.
From the War Memorial, by Eric WALTERS, (with additional notations):
RAMC -Field Amb
Metz en Coutine
Canada Inf - E
York & Lancs
Deir el Belah Wcty
John T. E.
From the base of theWar Memorial, by Eric WALTERS, (with additional notations):
Also in Honoured memory of (World War 2, 1939-1945):
RAF Vol. Res.
Chatham Naval Mem
10 Nov 1942
Chatham War Mem.
Key to Notes:
Missing in action.
Probably Henry Valentine MAYFIELD, RN, of HMS Ibis.
The name Coningsby is from the Old Scandinavian konungr+by, or "Kings Manor or Village". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Cuningesbi. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
When searching old records, the name often appears with an extra "n", as in Conningsby. It has even been shortened to Cunsby
Locals pronounce the name as "Cunningsby" or "Cunnsby". Don't be surprised to hear the last syllable as "Bi" or "Sbi".
Coningsby has St. Michael's Primary School, built in 1835 and enlarged in 1875 to hold 232 children. It was originally a "National School." Address: School Lane, Coningsby, Lincs, LN4 4SJ. Tele: 01526 342-312