Donington on Bain is a parish about 6 miles south-west of Louth and about 9 miles due north of Horncastle. The parish is in the heart of the Wolds and covers about 1,800 acres. Welsdale Bottom (or "Welldale Bottom") is a hamlet about a mile north-east of the village.
The village sits on the east bank of the River Bain. If you are planning a visit:
By car, take the A157 north-east out of Wragby toward Louth. Take the B1225 south and follow the signs for Donington on Bain, which will be on the left (east).
Passenger railway service existed here from 1875 to 1951.
A Bronze Age barrow has been found in the parish, but it is hard to see. It is a long, low raised area of soil. Originally, it was 1.5 meters tall, but it has been reduced by ploughing. It is just west of Bluestone Heath Road. A Bronze Age bowl was recovered here.
The name implies that this was an Anglo-Saxon settlement of circa 800 to 450 BC.
In 1877, the Louth branch of the Ancient Order of Foresters authorized the building of a Village Hall here. It was completed in 1879.
J. HANNAN-BRIGGS has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2011.