Hemingby is both a village and a parish about 4 miles north of Horncastle and 18 miles east of Lincoln. The parish is bordered on the west by the River Bain, on the south by Edlington parish and on the southeast by West Ashby parish. Glouceby parish lies to the north. The parish is in the heart of The Wolds and covers about 2,300 acres. "New End" is a hamlet just south of the village.
Hemingby village sits on a slope above the River Bain. A small rivulet runs through the village on its way to join the Bain. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A158 trunk road, which runs between Lincoln and Horncastle, and turn right (east) at Baumber and drive one mile to Hemingby. Alternatively, one can take the A153 north out of Horncastle and turn west after West Ashby to Hemingby village.
The village is first recorded as Hamingebi in the 1086 Domesday Book, from the Old Scandinavian Hemingr+by or "farmstead of a man named Hemingr". A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Horncastle petty session hearings every Saturday.
A hospital was erected by Mrs. Jane DYMOKE in 1727. She established a yearly allowance for four poor widows of Lincolnshire to abide there. There was a 145 acre farm associated with the hospital for revenue purposes. The four almswomen received a weekly allowance of two shillings and thrupence, plus coal.
Kate NICOL has a photograph of the Dymoke Almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2010.
Mrs. DYMOKE's charity also allowed for about four apprentices to be in training in Hemingby at any one time.
As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Horncastle Poor Law Union on 16th January 1837.
In 1848, Mrs. Jane BAKER left the interest on £500 to be distributed to the poor in coal.
In the 1870's, £12 was distributed to the eight boys and girls with the best school attendance record. The award was granted in clothing.