We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Holbeach Poor Law Union
- As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, 11 Holbeach-area parishes covering 118 square miles in Lincolnshire became part of the Holbeach Poor Law Union which was officially formed on 7th December 1835.
- The Registration District originally had two subdistricts: Holbeach and Long Sutton. In 1891, a new subdistrict was added: Gedney Hill.
- A new workhouse was built of brick in 1836-7 on the north side of Fleet Road, just east of Holbeach in Fleet parish. It was designed to accommodate 386 people, and later alterations brought that number up to 419. In its early years it held only about half that number. There were 179 inmates in 1871.
- A separate 36-bed infirmary was added in 1851 and extended in 1904.
- The Board of Guardians met on alternate Thursdays at the workhouse at 11AM.
- The workhouse later became the "Holbeach House" nursing home.
- The Lincolnshire Archives has the Guardians' minute books (1835-1930); Admissions and discharges (1904-5, 1913-16, 1929-33); Deaths register (1914-1936).
- For more on LFHS and the Lincoln Archives have on Lincolnshire Poor Law records, see our Poorhouses page.
- For more on researching Poor Law records, see our Poor Law records list.
- 1842: Mr. Edward KEY was clerk to the Board of Guardians and John MILLNS was Master of the Workhouse. Thos. BINGHAM of Holbeach and William GOODACRE of Long Sutton were Relieving Officers.
- 1882: Mr. Richard P. MOSSOP was clerk to the Board of Guardians and W. B. WATERER was Master of the Workhouse. Miss Lucy SIMPSON was the matron of the workhouse; C. MARSHALL of Holbeach and John HOLMES of Long Sutton were Relieving Officers.
- 1900: M. R. THOROLD, Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Richard Peele MOSSOP, clerk, Alexander PECKOVER, treasurer, Henry KENT, workhouse master, Miss Lucy SIMPSON, matron, Robert Russell HARPER, medical officer, Miss SINCLAIR, schoolmistress. Relieving officers: Rob J. MARSHALL, Reuben TEMPERTON.
- 1913: M. R. THOROLD, Chairman of the Board of Guardians; Samuel Septimus MOSSOP jr., clerk; Thomas Joseph MITCHELL, treasurer; Henry KENT, workhouse master; Mrs. A. L. KENT, matron; Edward EVANS, medical officer. Relieving officers: Rob Joseph MARSHALL, Reuben TEMPERTON.
| Year || Inhabitants |
|1801 ||9,354 |
|1831 ||14,737 |
|1851 ||19,134 |
|1861 ||18,403 |
|1871 ||19,281 |
|1881 ||19,006 |
|1891 ||17,859 |
|1911 ||18,942 |