- Little Cawthorpe Cemetery is on Top Road.
- The civil parish was in the Louth sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 630
||H.O. 107 / 2111
||R.G. 9 / 2382
||R.G. 10 / 3403
||R.G. 12 / 2608
||R.G. 13 / 3084
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Helen.
- The church was rebuilt in 1861 of brick and stone.
- It is a small church, seating only 60.
- The church was declared redundant in April, 1996, by the Diocese of Lincoln.
- Here is a photo of St. Helen's, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1679.
- We have the very beginning of a Parish Register Extract in a text file. It could benefit from your additions and any corrections.
- The National Burial Index lists 267 burials in Little Cawthorpe between 1813 and 1900.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Louthesk Deanery to make your search easier.
- A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built here in 1848. The Free Methodists built a chapel here in 1872. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Louth sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
This village and parish are just 3 miles south-east of Louth, on the eastern side of the Wolds. Legbourne parish sits to the north-east and Haugham parish to the south-west. The parish covers about 460 acres and contains several natural springs.
If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A157 trunk road south-east out of Louth for about two miles. The village is just south of the roadway.
- See our touring page for more sources.
- The Manor House was once the seat of the MOTTRAM family. It was erected in 1673.
- The national grid reference is TF 3585.
- An Ordnance Survey Explorer map will show detail of 2.5 inches to 1 mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
John READMAN has a photograph of the War Memorial on the Geo-graph site, taken in May, 2003.
- Cawthorpe was formerly called Calthorpe or Calkthorpe.
- This place was an ancient parish in the county of Lincoln and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Calceworth Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- Some directories of the 1900s place the parish was in the ancient Louthesk Hundred.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- The parish had the interest from £10, on deposit in a Louth savings bank, for distribution to the poor.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Louth Poorlaw Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Louth petty session hearings every other Wednesday.
[Last updated: 11-April-2015 - Louis R. Mills]