Sapperton is both a parish and a small village standing on a rise about 7 miles east of Grantham, 7 miles north of Corby (Corby Glen) and 4 miles north-west of Folkingham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Braceby parish, to the south by Lenton parish and to the east by Pickworth parish. The parish covers about 679 acres.
Sapperton is a small village, off the main roads. If you are planning a visit:
The railway stopped servicing this village in 1965.
The town can be accessed off of the A52 trunk road east of Grantham. Turn south at Ropsley. At the south end of the village, turn east again for Sapperton.
The ancient Roman Road from Peterborough to the Humber passes within a hundred yards to the west of the village. Part of that road is the straight stretch that leads south to Lenton village.
The hamlet of Sapperton was abandoned after the Black Plague swept through Lincolnshire, killing about 30% of the people. For many years, the area was used as sheep pasture. Obviously a few hardy souls decided to live and form a village here at some point.
The name Sapperton comes from the Old English sapere+tun for "farmstead of the soap makers". The name appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sapretone. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.