This village and parish is in the north of Lincolnshire, about 8 miles north of Scunthorpe and a mile and a half south of the River Humber. Winteringham parish lies to the north and Roxby cum Risby parish to the south. The Old River Ancholme forms the eastern boundary. The parish covers a little more than 3,600 acres.
In olden days Winterton was a small market town. If you are planning a visit:
To get to the village of Winterton, take the A1077 north out of Scunthorpe or west 8 miles out of Barton-upon-Humber. The village lies about a mile west of the ancient Ermine Street.
The great Roman raod Ermine Street passes through the parish.
A Roman villa stood at Winterton and some of its mosaics and artifacts have been recovered.
Holy Well, near the village, was considered a medicinal cure by the ancients.
William the Conqueror granted Lordship of Winterton to Norman D'Arcy, whose descendants held it for several centuries.
The Police Station was built in 1853.
Each July (around the 6th) the townspeople celebrate a mid-summer show, a tradition dating back more than 100 years.
In 1798, it cost William FOWLER of Winterton eight shillings to travel on the outside of a carriage from London to Brigg. It took another 5 shillings to to go by cart from Brigg to Winterton.
In 1810, it took four days to ship goods to London by wagon.
A gas works was erected in Winterton in 1855.
In 1925, motor buses began making daily trips from Winterton to Scunthorpe.
In 1968, during a road-widening of the A1077, a stone coffin was found with the skeleton of a young woman in it. She would have been about 23 years old, and stood 5'3". He body was laid on a sheet of lead. The age of the burial is not reported.
The name Winterton is from the Old English Wintra+inga+tun, or "Homestead of the followers of Wintra". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Wintrintune. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]