"BRIDGE WARD WITHIN receives its name from its contiguity to London-bridge, and from being within the City. It is bounded on the south by the Thames, on the east by Billingsgate ward, on the north by Langboum ward, and on the west by Candlewick and Dowgate wards. It begins at the south end of London-bridge; extends northward up Gracechurch-street to the corner of Lombard-street, including all the bridge, the greatest part of the courts and alleys on the east side of Gracechurch-street, and all the alleys, courts and lanes in Upper Thames-street, as far as New Quay, part of St. Michael's lane, and part of Crooked-lane. The principal streets in this wa d are New Fish-street, Fish-street-hill, and Gracechurch-street; and the principal buildings are London-bridge, new and old; the parish churches of St. Magnus and St. Bennett's, Gracechurch-street; Fishmongers' Hall, now about to be pulled down; and the Monument . . .
BRIDGE WARD WITHOUT, so called from being without the liberties of the City, contains the whole of the Borough of Southwark. It is nominally governed by an alderman, whose office is a sinecure, and, therefore given always to the senior alderman, who, on the death of his predecessor, vacates his former ward, and takes that of Bridge Without, as a matter of course." [J. Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]