"STANWELL, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.E. of Staines, its post town, and 15 from London. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the Roman way Stane Street. It contains part of Colnbrook, and was held by the Windsors from the Conquest till 1541, after which it came through the Knyvets and Falklands to Sir J. Gibbons, Bart., of Stanwell House. The union poorhouse for Staines is situated in this parish. The paper mills of Percy Ibotson are situated about 2 miles from Stanwell. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £301, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It contains ten stalls, also effigies of T. Windsor, bearing date 1486, and traces of brasses. The living was once held by Ryves, the editor of the "Mercurius Rusticus," during the civil war. The parochial charities produce about £244 per annum, of which £24 go to Lord Knyvet's free school, founded in 1642. There is a National school. The Independents have a chapel at Poyle."
"LONGFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Stanwell, county Middlesex, 1 mile E. of Colnbrook, and 17 miles W. of London. It is situated on the river Colne, and is frequented by anglers."
"WEST BEDFONT, a hamlet in the parish of Stanwell, and hundred of Spelthorne, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile from East Bedfont.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.