"Bevercotes is a churchless parish, containing only 51 inhabitants and about 800 acres of rich land, belonging to the Duke of Newcastle, who is lord of the manor. It had formerly a church, but it fell down nearly two centuries ago, and was never after rebuilt. Its inhabitants now use the church at West Markham, where they pay a modus of 1s 11d to the Archbishop at his visitations, and are provided with seat-room in consideration of an annuity paid by the Duke of Newcastle.
The manor was held of the Honour of Tickhill, during many generations, by a family of its own name, whose heiress, in the reign of Henry VI, carried it in marriage to Rutland Mollyneux Esq., who sold it to the Earl of Clare, from whom it has descended to its present noble proprietor. The mother of Queen Anne was a collateral descendant of the Denmans of West Retford. One branch of this family is now settled here, and another resides in Derbyshire."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2417|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2642|
This small hamlet and parish lie about 6 miles south of East Retford. The parish covers about 800 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 30 1851 51 1861 48 1871 33 1881 32 1891 40 1901 29 1911 39
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.