There was a parish workhouse in Bingham in 1777. It served several nearby parishes and housed up to 30 inmates.
There was a Bingham Incorporation formed under Gilbert's Act of 1782 to deal with the problems of poor and out-of-work individuals. A small workhouse was built on Moor Lane.
The Bingham Incorporation, under the direction of Rev. Robert LOWE, denied monetary relief to the the able-bodied and instead offered them housing in the workhouse, with food, but a strict discipline and some restraints.
After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the Bingham Poor Law Union was formed on 1 July 1836 to serve 40 local parishes in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. Additional parishes were added as they were formed or the region or boundaries changed. For more on the history of this Union, see the Peter Higganbotham website.
The Bingham Poor Law Union (and Civil Registration District) was centered in Bingham, Nottinghamshire.
The Bingham Poor Law Union encompassed the following parishes and chapelries: County of Nottingham: Aslockton, Barnston-cum-Langar [Barnstone cum Langar], Bingham, Car Colston, Clipston, Colston Bassett, Cotgrave, Cropwell Bishop, Cropwell Butler, East Bridgeford [Bridgford], Edwalton, Elton, Flawborough, Flintham, Granby, Hawksworth, Hickling, Holme Pierpoint [Pierrepont], Keyworth, Kinoulton, Kneeton, Normanton-on-the-Wolds, Orston, Owthorpe, Plumtree, Radcliffe-on-Trent, Saxondale, Scarrington, Screveton, Shelford, Shelton, Sibthorpe, Stanton on the Wolds, Tithby, Thoroton, Tollerton, Whatton, Widmerpool. County of Leicester: Barkston, Plungar. Later Additions: Lodge on the Wolds (1858-96), Wiverton Hall (from 1858).
A new workhouse was built in 1836-37 to hold 200 inmates (as paupers were called at that time). The old workhouse was kept in operation until the new one was completed. The new workhouse was on Nottingham Road at the top west end of town.
The Poor Law Board of Guardians met every other Thursday afternoon.
In 1901, the workhouse held 6 officers and 54 inmates.
After 1930, the workhouse was converted to the Bingham Public Assistance Institution. It was in use as a home for the aged until it closed in 1965. The building was demolished in 1967.
Search the Nottinghamshire Archives for the few Poor Law records that survived. Holdings include Guardians' minute books (1836-1930); Register of births in workhouse (1837-1930). There is a 100-year closure law for all documents for privacy reasons.
1852: William HUCKERBY jnr., clerk to the guardians; William F. N. NORTON, chairman of the Board of Guardians; William POISNER, auditor and treasurer; Edward DEAN, workhouse master.
1868: William HUCKERBY jnr., clerk to the guardians; John GODFREY, workhouse master; Mrs. Elizabeth GODFREY, workhouse matron; Miss Annie CHETTLE, schoolmistress.
1880: Arthur WILLIAMS, clerk to the guardians; Henry Henry WALTON, medical officer; Thomas Poyntz WRIGHT, surgeon; John Thomas ALLWOOD, workhouse master; Mrs. Catherine J. CHEETHAM, workhouse matron.
1899: Charles James SPENCER, clerk to the guardians; Henry J. NEILSON, medical officer; The Rev. F. HART, chaplain; William TURNBILL, workhouse master; Diana TURNBILL, workhouse matron.
1912: H. SMITH J.P., chairman of the board of guardians; Richard Henry BEAUMONT, clerk to the guardians; A. CAMPBELL, medical officer; Herbert GREGORY, workhouse master; Mrs. Eleanor GREGORY, workhouse matron.