A Description of the Village and Parish
Car Colston is a small village and parish situated 2½ miles north-north-west of Bingham, and contains 319 inhabitants, and 1,640 acres of strong clay land, of which Mrs Ellen Lower is the principal owner, lady of the manor, and impropriator. John Hacker Heathcote Esq., Rev. Robert Hall and Mr William Blagg are owners, and a few others have small estates. The houses mostly stand around two open commons, which contain about 23 acres.
Descent of the Manor
At the Conquest, Coleston was partly ancient demesne, and partly of the fee of Roger de Busli, and passed successively to the Cheyneys, Lovetots, Vanxes, Colstons, Thorotons, Arnalls, Willoughbys &c.
Religious History and the Church
The Church, dedicated to St Mary, has a handsome tower and four bells, and was appropriated to Worksop Priory in 1349. In Thoroton's time the tithes belonged to the Duke of Newcastle, but being charged with £20 yearly by the King, and £4 to the church of Lincoln, they were then of not much value to His Grace. The vicarage is valued in the King's books at £6 1s 10½d, now at £203. The Rev. John Chancourt Girardot is the incumbent, whose father purchased the right of patronage a few years ago. In 1842 the tithes were commuted at £315 for the impropriator, and £153 1s 6d for the vicar. In 1838 Mr Girardot took down the old vicarage, and erected, at a short distance, a handsome building in the Elizabethan style, with stone mullioned windows and other stone dressings, with neat grounds around. The parish feast is the Sunday after June 15th.
In 1835 a small Wesleyan chapel was built by Mr John Marriott.
In 1846, a small school was erected, and is supported by subscription.
In 1616, Gregory Henson bequeathed Sharp Close, let for £2 10s, for repairing the leads and windows of the church. He had previously given £12 to the parish to buy a bell, and he had also given a small bell of his own. He left Bensmore Close, let for £14, for the use of the poor, who have also Alvey Close, let for £2, purchased with the legacy of John Whalley Esq. in 1735, and £10 in the Newark Savings Bank, left in 1737 by Margaret Sherrard.
People and Events
The village was the residence of Robert Thoroton M.D., the celebrated author of the History and Antiquities of Nottinghamshire, published in 1677. He informs that he had an estate here, on which he built an estate for himself, which stood between the church and Scarrington, usually called the Hall. A few years ago, by the side of the church, a stone coffin was discovered, in which lay the mortal remains of Dr Thoroton.
White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853