"Carburton or Carberton, is a small village on the west side of Clumber, upon the small River Wollen, on the Ollerton road, 4 miles south by east of Worksop. Its township and chapelry include Carburton Forge, a small hamlet, one mile west of the village, where there was formerly an iron forge. It contains 200 inhabitants and 1,516 acres of land. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor and owner, with the exception of about 40 acres, which belong to the Duke of Newcastle, and are enclosed in Clumber Park. In the reign of Edward II, the Abbot of Welbeck enclosed Carburton Storth, though the inhabitants pleaded that it was part of their ancient demesne. The chapel, a small structure, with a small burial ground, is annexed to Edwinstowe. The turnpike from thence to Worksop and Newark was formed under acts passed in the 10th and 31st years of the reign of George III."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]