"East Drayton is but an indifferently built village and parish, situated four miles north-east by east of Tuxford, but has been greatly improved within the last few years. The parish contains 251 inhabitants and 1,520 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1819. The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a gothic structure, the architectural beauties of which are greatly admired, and has a fine tower and four bells. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £9 3s 4d, now at £240, and has annexed to it those of Askham and Stokeham. The Rev. John Goodacre is the vicar. The Dean and Chapter of York are the patron and the appropriators, and the trustees of Lord Henry H.M. Howard receive the great tithes. John Parkinson Esq. is lord of the manor, and owner of nearly half the land in the parish. The rest belongs to a number of small freeholders, of whom the Rev. Henry Hutchinson, John Thomas, and William Byron, John Scott, George Salmon and George Ward are the principal. The Methodists have a preaching room in the village, and a feast is held on the nearest Sunday to Midsummer Day."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]