"EATON, a parish in East Retford district, Notts; on the river Idle and the Great Northern railway, 2 miles SSE of East Retford. Post town, Retford. Acres, 1, 540. Real property, £1, 833. Pop., 184. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. Ten manors were here before the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Valne, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is old but good. [John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]
Eaton is a small village and a parish of about 1,526 acres. It lies 2 miles south of East Retford, 18 miles north of Newark-on-Trent and 140 miles north of London. It stands just east of the River Idle.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the arterial road south out of Retford for two miles.
Roger GEACH has a photograph of Eaton village on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
You can see pictures of Eaton which are provided by:
From WHITE's 1853 History, Directory and Gazetteer of Nottingham:
EATON, or IDLETON, is a small village and parish, on both sides of the Idle, connected by a brick bridge, 2 miles S. of Retford. It was formerly a place of some consequence, for before the Norman Conquest, we find " here were ten manors and ten thanes, each thane having a hall;” at the survey, however, they were reduced to one manor, and given to Roger de Busli. Henry Bridgeman Simpson, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of the parish, which was purchased about 1785, of Earl Fitzwilliam. It comprises 158 inhabitants, and about 1407 acres of land, part of which was not enclosed till 1810.
The church is a small fabric, with turret and be& and the living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books as £:4, 13s. 4d., now at £63. The Rev. John Twells, is the incumbent, and the Prebendary of Eaton, in Southwell Collegiate Church, is the patron and appropriator.
A small school was built about 18 years ago, Mrs. Simpson pays for 8 children, and the rest pay one penny weekly till they are 5 years old, and threepence per week after.
Eaton Hall is a pleasant mansion, which was thoroughly repaired and greatly enlarged in 1831, and is now the seat of William Frederick Baring, Esq.