"Finningley Parish forms the northern portion of the county. It stretches northward from the Idle, betwixt Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, within which latter county a large portion of this parish is comprised. It is divided into the three townships of Finningley, Auckley and Blaxton, which contain 6,056 acres of rich sandy soil. The waste lands were enclosed by an act passed in 1771, and in 1778 an allotment of 1,156 acres was awarded to the rector, in lieu of all the tithes, except those paid for 300 acres which had no common right, and which still remain titheable. William Hall, in 1668, left 10s yearly out of two acres in Blaxton fields, to the poor of Finningley parish. In 1672, Richard Metcalf gave to the poor of Finningley township two acres, which at the enclosure in 1774 were exchanged for 1a 3r 18p in the Mill Field. In the 28th year of Charles II, John Tuke gave to the poor of Auckley two acres, which at the enclosure were exchanged for 1a 2r 4p. Auckley has also 6s 8d yearly, out of land which formerly belonged to William Ramsay, the Poor's Close and the Town Close, containing 7a 3r 34p, which was awarded at the enclosure, and is placed to the poor rate account. Sarah Wood left 2s 6d yearly to Finningley, and the parish received 10s yearly from the overseers of Auckley, as interest of £10, left by an unknown donor. About half an acre of land in Blaxton belongs to the poor. [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Finningley is a village and a parish with three townships; Finningley, Awkley and Blaxton. Blaxton is wholly in the West Riding of Yorkshire, And Awkley is mostly in the same West Riding of Yorkshire. The rest is in Nottingham. The parish lies 151 miles north of London and 7 miles south-east of Doncaster and 4 miles north of Bawtry. The parish covers 5,970 acres.
The Idle River runs past the southern end of the village. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A614 arterial road north-east out of Bawtry. Just before Austerfield, bear right, east, and follow the county road to Misson.
There is a railway running through the parish, but passenger service ceased in 1961.
Above the altar in the parish church is a stained glass window which is a tribute to those who served in World War I and the 22 men who did not return. The 22 who fell are listed on a brass plaque on the wall.
In the churchyard extension there are 44 Commonwealth War Graves from World War II.