GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Mering

"Meering, on the east of the Trent, near Girton, 9 miles north of Newark, is an extra parochial farm of 700 acres, of low marshy grazing land, in the occupation of Mr George Catcliffe. It anciently gave name to a resident family of considerable note, who gave part of it to the priories of Lenton and Radford. It now contributes to the repairs of Sutton church. In 1843, two ancient pewter measures were washed up by the Trent, one of which held two quarts, and the other three pints. Human bones and skulls are often also washed up by the Trent. It is said part of the old religious house was used in building Sutton church."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2476
1891 R.G. 12 / 2711

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Mering is on the east side of the River Trent, 9 miles north of Newark-on-Trent It was an extra-parochial farm for centuries, low marshy ground near the river. But there has never been a village here.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Population
1801 0
1851 11
1881 3
1891 2
1901 9
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 29-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]