GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Weston

"Weston Parish consists of the two hamlets of North and South Weston, three miles south-east of Tuxford, situated on the opposite declivities of a narrow vale, where the waters from the Laxton and Egmanton unite, and roll in one steam to the Trent. The Great North Road passes to the south, and The Great Northern Railway to the north of the parish. It contains 487 inhabitants and 1,650 acres of land. Earl Manvers owns about one half of the parish, and is lord of the manor. He holds a court at Michaelmas, and is patron of the rectory. Mr Francis Skinner is an owner, and most of the farmers are owners in part.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is situated at South Weston. It is a neat structure, with a spire and three bells. It was repaired in 1840, repewed, and had the chancel rebuilt, at a cost of about £150. The rector rebuilt the chancel and porch and, since then, a further sum of £100 has been laid out in alterations and improvements, the parish in both cases having materially assisted the subscriptions of Earl Manvers and Viscount Newark. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £19 2s 11d, now £468. The Rev. T.T. Penrose M.A. is the incumbent, and the Rev. John Proctor M.A. is the curate. The parish was enclosed in 1795, when 315 acres were allotted to the rector in lieu of tithe."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Caution: There are at least 8 other places known as Weston in England, including one in neighboring Lincolnshire. Check your sources carefully.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2475
1891 R.G. 12 / 2710
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Weston is a parish and two merged villages; South Weston and North Weston. The parish is in the southern division of Nottinghamshire. It lies 134 miles north of London, 3 miles south-east of Tuxford and 10 miles north of Newark on Trent. Two streams merge in the parish just east of the village and form a feeder to the River Trent. The parish covers 1,740 acres and includes Scarthing Moor as a district in the parish.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Population
1801 246
1851 487
1861 380
1871 375
1881 348
1891 332
1901 310
1911 290
1921 280
1931 284
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 10-May-2014 - Louis R. Mills]