Link to maps of Donington

DONINGTON, Shropshire

"DONINGTON, a parish in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstree, in the county of Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Wolverhampton, its post town, 5 S.E. of Shiffnal, and 1 mile E. of Albrighton station on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The extra-parochial district of Boscobel and White Ladies, regarded as within the cure of the minister of this parish, was formerly a populous hamlet, but there is now only the old house of Boscobel and the ruins of the monastery of White Ladies. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £673, in the patronage of the puke of Sutherland. The tithes were commuted for land and a rent-charge under the Enclosure Act of 1771. The church is an ancient stone structure, believed to be dedicated to St. Cuthbert; it has a fine tower containing four bells. The interior is very handsome. The charities produce £1 per annum. There is a school for the children of the parish. George Jones, Esq., is lord of the manor, and one of the principal owners. Below the rocky site on which the church stands, is a spring called St. Cuthbert's Well."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2012

Church Records

Gazetteers

Names (Geographical)

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Donington/index.html

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.

This page was originally maintained by Rosemary Lockie until 2009

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014

[Last updated at 07.37 on Monday, 14 July 2014, by Mel Lockie. ©2014]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.