STOKESAY, Shropshire"STOKESAY, a parish in the lower division of Munslow hundred, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow, and 22 S. of Shrewsbury. Newton is its post town. It is situated on the river Onny and the turnpike road between Shrewsbury and Hereford. It comprises the townships of Aldon, Broom with Rowton, Newton, and Wettleton. In the vicinity are a Roman encampment called Norton's Canys, and the ruins of Stokesay Castle. The soil is of a clayey, limey, and gravelly nature, with a subsoil of blue clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £351. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, or St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a tower and six bells. It has been recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is an endowed parochial school for both sexes. Earl Craven is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"ALDON, a township in the parish of Stokesay, hundred of Lower Munslow, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the N.W. of Ludlow. It is not far from the small river Onny."
"BROOM, a township united with Rowton, in the parishes of Clungunford, Hopesay, and Stokesay, hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the S.E. of Bishop's Castle."
"NEWTON WITH STOKE, a township in the parish of Stokesay, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
"ROWTON, a township in the parishes of Clungunford, Hopesay, and Stokesay, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow. It is in conjunction with Broom."
"STOKE WITH NEWTOWN, a township in the parish of Stokesay, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Ludlow, on the river Onny."
"WETTLETON, a township in the parish of Stokesay, county Salop, 7 miles N. W. of Ludlow, on the river Onny."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Stokesay provided by Mel Lockie. Added 4 March 2012.
- A transcript of the Stokesay parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the StokeSay parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,