"CAVENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lackford, in the county of Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Mildenhall, its post town, and 6 W. of Bury. It is situated on the river Lark, which is navigable, and is crossed by Temple bridge. The Great Eastern railway has a station at Mildenhall Road. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ely, value £113, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient Gothic structure. Here is a school supported chiefly by H. Waddington, M.P., who resides at Cavenham Hall. W. F. Farmer, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)