"CHELSWORTH, (or Chellesworth), a parish in the hundred of Cosford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of the Hadleigh railway station, and 15 from Bury St. Edmund's. It is situated on the river Brett. The manor anciently belonged to the Howards, and afterwards to the family of De Vere. In 1737 it became, by purchase, the property of Robert Pocklington, Esq., who erected Chelsworth House. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £266, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome and ancient edifice, containing an old fresco of the Judgment Day, which was brought to light in 1849, and a monument to Sir John de St. Philibert. The register commences in 1559. Here is a school for both sexes. 111. R. Pocklington Esq., is lord of the manor. Chelsworth House is situated near the remains of an ancient edifice called The Park.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)