"EARL STONHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 3 miles N.E. of Needham Market, and 5 E. of Stowmarket. It was once a market town, and is still a very considerable place, forming part of the Duke of Norfolk's liberty, for which he appoints a coroner. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £659, in the patronage of Pembroke College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The interior is beautifully carved. The parochial charities produce about £120 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel. There are National schools. Messrs. Jackson and Sparks are lords of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)