"ELVEDEN, (or Elden), a parish in the hundred of Lackford, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.W. of Thetford, its post town, and 5 S. of Brandon. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway. The land is chiefly arable, with a portion of woodland. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £360. The church is an ancient structure, having a thatched roof and square tower of flint, surmounted by four full-sized statues. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. Elden Hall is the principal residence. Admiral Keppel took from this place the title of viscount. William Newton, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)