"FRISTON, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Saxmundham, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Aldborough. The river Alne bounds the parish on the S. The land is chiefly arable. The soil is partly marshy in the lower grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Suffolk, value with that of Snape annexed, £194. The church is a Norman structure dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1547. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is an infant school in the village, the elder children attending the National school at Snape. Friston Hall is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)