"FRISTON, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Saxmundham, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Aldborough. The river Alne bounds the parish on the S. The land is chiefly arable. The soil is partly marshy in the lower grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Suffolk, value with that of Snape annexed, £194. The church is a Norman structure dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1547. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is an infant school in the village, the elder children attending the National school at Snape. Friston Hall is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Friston:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Friston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Friston has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.