"HENLEY, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 4½ miles N. of Ipswich, its post town, and 3 E. of the Claydon railway station. The village, which is small and irregular, is situated on a branch of the river Deben. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £118. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £95. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a square tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1559. The charities consist of £200, the bequest of Thomas Vere, Esq., in 1766, which was invested in £215 17s. 9d. Three per Cent. Reduced Annuities, £3 of which to be divided among the poor of the parish, 10s. to be given to the clerk, and the remainder to the vicar for a sermon on St. Thomas's Day. Here is an endowed National school, also a place of worship for the Baptists. The Rev. J. M. Theobald is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Church Lane, Church of England
- Churches in Henley:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Henley area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Henley has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.