"HENLEY, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 4½ miles N. of Ipswich, its post town, and 3 E. of the Claydon railway station. The village, which is small and irregular, is situated on a branch of the river Deben. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £118. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £95. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a square tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1559. The charities consist of £200, the bequest of Thomas Vere, Esq., in 1766, which was invested in £215 17s. 9d. Three per Cent. Reduced Annuities, £3 of which to be divided among the poor of the parish, 10s. to be given to the clerk, and the remainder to the vicar for a sermon on St. Thomas's Day. Here is an endowed National school, also a place of worship for the Baptists. The Rev. J. M. Theobald is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)