"HOLLESLEY, (or Hoseley), a parish in the hundred of Wilford, county Suffolk, 72 S.E. of Woodbridge, its post town. It is situated on the North Sea, near Hollesley Bay, which has from 6 to 8 fathoms water, and where two curious old cannons were found in 1804. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The river Ore bounds the parish on the E., and here falls into Hollesley Bay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £800. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure with a flint tower. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, distributed in coals.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)