"LAWSHALL, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 6½ miles S.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 9½ N. of Sudbury. In this parish is an extensive horse-hair manufactory, employing a large number of the inhabitants. The land is partly in common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £700. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £428. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has recently been thoroughly restored and beautified, at an expense of £6,000. It has some stained-glass windows. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum. There are National and Sunday schools, built in 1826, at the expense of a lady. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Near the source of the river Bret are remains of a Roman station, supposed to have been Carnbretoniumn."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Lawshall:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Lawshall has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.