"NORTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3½ miles S.E. of Ixworth, 7 N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its "post town, and 2½ N.E. of Elmswell railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. It is a meet for the Suffolk hounds. There are excavations still remaining where Henry VIII. dug in search of gold. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £458, in the patronage of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum. There is a National school, erected in 1830. The Baptists have a place of worship."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)