"PAKEFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S.W. of Lowestoft, its post town, and 9 from Beccles. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast of the North Sea, close to Kirkley. The chief part of the village lies on one side of the London and Yarmouth road, which separates it from Lowestoft. On the cliffs is a fixed light, erected in 1832; it is 68 feet in height, and is visible at a distance of 9 miles. On account of the roughness of this part of the coast the Suffolk Humane Society have always a lifeboat in readiness. The encroachments of the sea have considerably reduced the extent of this parish. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. The glebe consists of about 15 acres. Tho living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £186. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a thatched roof and square embattled tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains an old font and two brasses, one of which is to Folkard, a priest, bearing date 1400. The register dates from 1680. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes; also a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. Lord Boston is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)