"PLAYFORD, a parish in the hundred of Carlford, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.E. of Ipswich, its post town, and 4 S.W. of Woodbridge. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Deben, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a productive nature. The living is a perpetual car.* in the diocese of Norwich, value £79. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing three bells. The church contains a brass of Sir J. Felbrigg, bearing date 1400. In the churchyard is an obelisk, erected in 1857 to Mr. Clarkson, the strenuous and successful opposer of the slave trade. There are day and Sunday schools. Playford Hall, the principal residence, is an ancient moated mansion. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)