"REED, (or Rede), a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £286, and the glebe comprises 24 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £274. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower containing three bells. The church was restored in 1850. There is an endowed National school.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Reed:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Reed has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.