"SOUTH ELMHAM ST. JAMES, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Halesworth, and 7 S.W. of Bungay. Harleston is its post town. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £300. The church is a compact structure with square embattled tower. There are charitable bequests producing about £20 per annum. Sir R. Adair is lord of the manor. In the vicinity are the ruins of an ancient building called the Minster.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)