"UFFORD, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Woodbridge, its post town, and the same distance S.E. of Wickham Market. The village is situated on the river Deben, which occasionally inundates the adjoining lands. The parish includes the hamlet of Sogenhoe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £376. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass of R. Ballett, bearing date 1598, an ancient font with a cover, and tombs of the Woods of Loudham. There was anciently a chapel-of-ease at Sogenhoe, but long since demolished. There are some small charities and a school supported by the rector. The Earls of Suffolk took their names from this place."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)