"WICKHAM MARKET, a parish and post town in the hundred of Wilford, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.E. of Woodbridge, and 12 from Ipswich. It is a Junction station on the East Suffolk branch of the Great Eastern railway. The village is situated on the bank of the river Deben, and, as its name implies, was formerly a market town by grant of Henry VI., but the market and fairs are now disused. The Plomesgate union workhouse was built here in 1837, but the shire-hall, in which quarter-sessions were formerly held, was taken down some years since by the lord of the manor, and the sessions were removed to Woodbridge. The manor anciently belonged to the Ufford family, who gave it to Campsey Priory, and at the Dissolution was granted by Henry VIII. to Anthony Wingfield, but now belongs to the Duke of Hamilton and Brandon, who is lord of the manor of Wickham with its members and Byng. The impropriation, commuted at £195, belongs to Pemberton's charity at Ipswich. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £200, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has an octagonal tower surmounted by a spire, which, being built on a hill, forms a landmark. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels, and there are National, British, and infant schools. The charities produce about £160 per annum, including the endowment of Wood's almshouses and the rent of the town estate of 40 acres, which is now applied, under a decree of the Court of Chancery, in apprenticing poor children, the support of the National schools, and the remainder to the poor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)