GENUKI Home page
Broadway Broadway     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Broadway

"BROADWAY, a parish in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the N. of Ilminster. It occupies part of the site of the ancient forest of Roche, or Neroche, and includes the tythings of Capland and Rapps. The forest was of great extent, and took its name from an ancient entrenchment called Roche Castle, situated on the brow of Blackdown Hill, which commands a wide and beautiful prospect. The forest was here intersected by a broad way, whence the village derived its name. The woollen cloth manufacture was at one time carried on at this place. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £167, in the patronage of the Misses Palmer. The church, dedicated to St. Aldelme, is a cruciform edifice, and the churchyard has part of a fine old cross. Evely's almshouses, for 7 poor people, are endowed with £21 per annum; and there are some other charities of trifling value."

"CAPLAND, a tything in the parish of Broadway, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the N.W. of Ilminster."

"RAPPS, a tything in the parish of Broadway, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Ilminster."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]