GENUKI Home page
High Littleton High Littleton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - High Littleton

"HIGH LITTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 8 miles S.W. of Bath, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Bristol. The parish includes the hamlet of Hallatrow. A large proportion of the people are employed in the collieries. The village is considerable. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £199, and the vicarial for £13 6s. 8d. The living' is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £120. The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient stone edifice with a tower. It contains monuments of the Mogg and Hodge families dating back to the 15th century. The charities consist of Jones's bequest for the poor, producing about £16 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."

"HALLABROW, a hamlet in the parish of High Littleton, hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 10 miles S.W. of Bath."

"HALLATROW, a hamlet in the parish of High Littleton, county Somerset, 8 miles S.W. of Bath."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.