GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Keinton

"KEINTON-MANDEVILLE, a parish in the hundred of Catsash, county Somerset, 4½ miles N.E. of Somerton, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Castle Cary railway station. It is situated on the road from London to Taunton, which follows the line of the Roman Fosseway. The river Brue runs on the N. side of the parish. Building stone is quarried here to a considerable extent. The soil is clay, and subsoil blue lias. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1804. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £112, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has an octagonal tower at the W. end, containing four bells. It was partly rebuilt in 1800, with the exception of the chancel, which is said to be 500 years old, and was further enlarged in 1841. The old registers have been burnt, but the present one dates from 1726. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have each a chapel. The Rev. D. W. Morrice is lord of the manor. A fair is held on the 3rd September for cattle." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 20th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.