GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Towns and Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Pitminster

"PITMINSTER, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Taunton, its post town and railway station. The village, which is of large extent, is situated on the road from Taunton to Honiton, under Black Down Hill. The soil is of a loamy nature, and there are extensive quarries of flint used for building. The parish comprises Blogdon, Leigh, and four other tythings. There are a tannery and two maltings in the parish. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £300, and the vicarial for £535. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £550. The church, dedicated to SS. Andrew and Mary, is a stone structure of the 15th century, with a spired tower containing five bells. The church contains monuments to the Collis family. The register dates from 1541. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Independents have a place of worship. The neighbourhood is studded withresidences. Robert Mattock, Esq., is lord of the manor. At Blogdon, in this parish, a fair for cattle is held in the last week in August." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.