GENUKI Home page
Priston Priston     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Priston

"PRISTON, a parish in the hundred of Keynsham, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Bath, its post town. The village, which is of small extent and wholly agricultural, is situated to the right of the road leading from Bath to Wells. The parish includes the hamlet of Wilmington. The surface is for the most part hilly. The soil is of a loamy description. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400, and the glebe comprises 48 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £384. The church, dedicated to St. Luke, is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower containing six bells. The church has been recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum."

"WILMINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Priston, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Bath."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.