GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Staplegrove

"STAPLEGROVE, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, 1¾ mile N.W. of Taunton, its post town. The village is situated on the Great Western railway and the river Tone, and comprises a portion of the vale of Taunton-Dean. It formed a part of Taunton parish until 1554, from which period it has been a distinct parish. There are flax mills, a tannery, and a private lunatic asylum. The Great Western canal from Bridgwater to Tiverton passes along the southern boundary of the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £200. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. Since its construction in the 15th century it has had two new aisles added, and in 1857 was thoroughly restored. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school, also a Sunday-school." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 28th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.