GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Towns and Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Taunton

"TAUNTON, comprises the parishes of St. James and St. Mary Magdalene, and is a market and assize town and parliamentary borough in the hundred of the same name, county Somerset, of which it is the county town, 51 miles S.W. of Bath, and 30 N.E. of Exeter. It is a station on the Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western railway. The town, which is of great antiquity, is situated in a vale called Taunton Dean, on the southern bank of the small river Tone, here crossed by a stone bridge of three arches, and which is now only partially navigable, the locks having been neglected by the conservators since the construction of the Bridgwater canal, which affords readier water communication, and has also a branch to Chard. Numerous early remains are found in the vicinity, including an ancient bridge of one arch, somewhat pointed, called the Ram's Horn, and another bridge on the line of the Roman way to Bridgwater." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson  2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in Bath University Library

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Maps

Names, Personal

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.

[Last updated 24th October 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.