"St Mary's Church, in Oxford Street, is a fine Gothic structure, in the style which prevailed in the 16th century, and was erected in 1830, its spacious burial ground being purchased by subscription. The interior is neatly fitted up, and has 1500 sittings, of which 900 are free. It has a powerful organ, and is lighted by gas. In the tower is an illuminated clock.
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the incumbent of St Leonard's, or the Bishop of Lichfield, sub-judice, and incumbency of the Rev JB Owen, MA, who is assisted by the Rev WB Bennison, BA." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]