Towns & Parishes
"Checkley is a small village on the north side of the River Tean, four and three-quarter miles SSE of Cheadle, five miles NW by W of Uttoxeter, and two miles N of Leigh Station, on the North Staffordshire Railway. Its parish contains 2322 souls and about 5800 acres of fertile land, lying in three divisions, called Tean, Madeley-Holme and Foxt.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Checkley village is in the Tean division, which contains about 3000 acres.
Beamhurst, three miles NW; Deadman's Green, five miles NW; and Fole, four miles NW of Uttoxeter, are hamlets in Madeley-Holme division of this parish. Beamhurst Hall is the seat of Henry Mountford, Esq.
Foxt hamlet is four miles NNE of Cheadle, and has a scattered village of 280 souls, of whom 197 are in Ipstones parish and 83 in Checkley parish.
Hollington is a village in the Madeley-Holme division, five miles NW of Uttoxeter, celebrated for its quarries of excellent white freestone, of which many churches have been erected in this county, and many thousand scythe stones are made yearly. The stone may be got in blocks of 100 feet or upwards. The quarries belong to Sir John Gibbons and JC Philips, Esq.
Tean division includes the hamlet of Lower Tean, three miles S by E, and the large village of Upper Tean, two miles S of Cheadle. The latter village is noted for the extensive tape manufactory of Messrs John & Nathaniel Philips & Co., who employ here about 600 men, women and children, and at Cheadle about 300."
The population of Checkley parish was as follows:
1801 -- 1374
1831 -- 2247
1841 -- 2322
"Checkley Church, St Mary & All Saints, is a large and ancient edifice, with a lofty tower and six bells. In the chancel is an altar tomb, with recumbent effigies of Godfrey Foljambe and his lady.
The rectory is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Hutchinson, MA.
Tean district church is a plain stone building, in the early English style, dedicated to Christ, and built in 1843.
Tean has three small chapels, belonging to the Independents (built 1822), the Wesleyans (built 1843) and the Primitive Methodists. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Fole (built 1850) and a Independent chapel at Deadman's Green (built 1821)."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Mary & All Saints commences in 1625. The original registers for the period 1625-1962 (Bapts), 1625-1975 (Mar) & 1625-1855 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1662-1867 (with gaps 1795-1800 & 1854-9) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The original registers of the Checkley, Deadman's Green, Independent chapel, Baptisms 1822-1846 are deposited at the Public Record Office. A copy is held at Staffordshire Record Office.
The original registers of the Checkley Independent Ebenezer chapel, Births & Baptisms 1822-1830 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The original registers of the Upper Tean Independent Providence chapel, Baptisms 1803-1837 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Checkley parish became part of Cheadle Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 24th May 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]